[GRASS-user] Spatial Dissolve

Darren Cope darrencope at gmail.com
Mon May 28 21:52:59 EDT 2007

Hi Markus and list,

- I'm using GRASS 6.3.cvs (2006) underQGIS (using the
qgis_setup0.8.1preview3.exe installer from:
http://qgis.org/uploadfiles/testbuilds/) in a Windows 2000
environment.  I've installed qgis in a directory (C:\QGIS) with no
spaces or path names over 8 characters
- the data I downloaded is from the geographynetwork.ca website, and
comes in shapefile format
- Created a new mapset in GRASS (using QGIS GUI)
- Added shapefile to QGIS project
- import shapefile to GRASS vector using v.in.ogr using QGIS "GRASS Tools"
- run v.clean as per CORINE example (v.clean input=wateroriginal
output=waterclean tool=rmdupl) in GRASS shell
- at this point I noticed that the attribute values are not carried
through and I'm left with only "id" and "cat" - why is this, and will
it cause problems later on?
- run v.dissolve (v.dissolve input=waterclean output=waterdissolve) in
GRASS shell, result is a non-dissolved file - I didn't specify a
category, but I'm only doing a "spatial" dissolve, so is this
necessary?
- I also tried v.extract -d (v.extract -d input=waterclean
output=waterextract) in the GRASS shell without success

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious!  Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Darren