[GRASS-user] new support in v.in.garmin for download with gardump

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 10:13:47 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have just added support in the 6.3-cvs version of v.in.garmin to
download Garmin data with gardump from garmin-utils. (www.snafu.org)

It looks to be a lot healthier and talk to newer GPSs than gpstrans, and
gives you access to more data than gpsbabel (symbol type and drawing
style, etc).

gardump should work with any Garmin with a round connector. I expect it
isn't compatible with newer USB only Garmins (flat connector), but
this is untested by me. gpsbabel should work for those though.

any testing reports using different GPS units would be appreciated.

Hamish