No subject

Wed Nov 14 14:03:15 EST 2007

make an elevation model for a river basin in Austria. My contourlines represents
elevation, with 200m intervals. The river basin is situated within a region of
183 X 148 km2 (=DEFAULT REGION), and my plan is to use a resolution of 100m in
both the x- and y- directions (possibly 50m). Later the elevation model is going
to be used for hydrological analyses.

I believe that the process of generating the elevation model will consist of the
steps: 1) converting the vectorlines to rasterlayers of lines or sites, and 2)
running a surface interpolation program. Before starting I would be very glad to
hear some comments about the following questions.

1)
When using the v.to.rast / v.to.sites programs:
Will a resolution of 100x100m be appropriate to get a useful result when I
convert the vector-format contourlines into raster-format layers of lines or
sites (I guess the landscape here in Austria may be considered rather hilly).

2)
Which of the programs r.surf.contour, r.surf.idw, r.surf.idw2, s.surf.idw,
s.surf.tps or others is best for this task?

3)
183 x 148 km2 and a resolution of 100 m means 1830 x 1480 = 2 708 400 raster
cells. Can I expect my HP7000 to complete such a task within a day? ..week?
..month? ..year?

Any good advice or comments, experiences would be highly appreciated!

Trond Rinde

Siv.ing. Trond Rinde

Institut f. Wasserwirtschaft, Hydrologie und konstruktiven Wasserbau
Universitet f. Bodenkultur
A-1190 Wien, Nussdorfer Laende 11

tel: 	1 36 92 924 352
fax: 	1 36 92 924 350