[GRASS-user] More QUESTIONS !?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:45:33 EDT 2007

A few replies below

On 11/1/07 8:03 AM, "nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de"
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Well... I know that I only have questions (and a lot). Hope
> this will change in time...
>
> 1. I tried to install wxgrass but I get an error (see
> attached screenshot). I followed the steps described in
> http://www.les-ejk.cz/english/wxgrass-new-grass-gui-1

Follow the instructions in the README file with wxPython GRASS. IT is the
most up-to-date. Also, AFAIK, it it isn't working on Windows yet.

> 2. I can't find a How-To install grassaddons for a
> beginner? I got some of the extensions (which end in .tgz)
> installed with GEM. But I really have a hard time to
> install for example i.pr (I really looked almost
> everywhere... :| )

All  are different, so I can't help you here. Look for README files with
each addon.

> 3. Is there a link (image to image) utility so one can
> compare pixel-by-pixel 2 images of the region but with a
> different date of acquisition? I try with i.spectral but I
> don't know how to load an image to the monitor which is
> selected to choose a location. Any ideas?

The map calculator (r.mapcalc) is perfect for this. Create a difference map.

r.mapcalc 'diffmap=map1 - map2'

(or pick map calculator from the raster menu)

Then apply the difference color table to the map, using r.colors
(raster->manage map colors->color tables)

> 4. Why is the newbie forum not active? I mean the link in
> the grass webpage doesn't work!

I don't know.

> 5. Once I finish some work related with my studies I would
> like to write a practical How-To for absolute beginners.
> Are there any kinds of directions?

GREAT! Put it on the WIKI for all to benefit.

Michael

> Thank you in Advance -- Waiting for helpful hints!
>

>                         .
>          Nikos Alexandris - Ph.D. Candidate
>                         .
>             Department of Remote Sensing
>                        and
>             Landscape Information Systems
>                      (FeLIS)
>                         .
>       Faculty of Forestry and Natural Environment
>           Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
>                         .
>             Tel.  +49 (0) 761 203 3697
>             Fax.  +49 (0) 761 203 3701