[GRASS-user] isoareas from DEM data

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 01:28:57 EST 2007

Stefan Eriksson wrote:
> Yes, but I want polygons rather than lines as output. r.contour only
> produce lines, does it not?

Convert lines to polygons with 'v.type line,boundary' and v.centroids.

Areas in GRASS are virtual features made from boundaries + centroids.
The centroid will typically hold the attribute data (like elevation range) and
the boundary will not have a category (it is ambiguous as to which area
touching the boundary belongs to the attribute. Note that many GRASS vector
modules only work on features with category numbers, add/remove those with
v.category.

Hamish