[GRASS-user] More QUESTIONS !?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 01:41:50 EST 2007

Nikos Alexandris  wrote:
> The kinf of "Link" tool:
> ENVI, and ERDAS as well, provide a "Link" tool with which one can open,
> side-by-side, images of the same region and while panning, zooming or
> resizing one of the images, these actions are automatically mirrored to the
> othe image.
>
> Why is this useful:
> I provide a (small) screenshot to illustrate my need (!). In this example I
> try to visually interpret the land cover on the image which is on the right
> (it is a SPOT4 acquisition). To support this task, whenever it is difficult
> to recognize something, I use the orthophotos (in my screenshot located on
> the left side). The tool is capable to link multiple images with the same or
> different resolution, with the pre-condition that they are georeferenced
>
> (In this example the object of interest is a small football(soccer!)
> stadium... !)
>
> .
> Again... I am just putting questions... I think, in most cases, asking
> doesn't hurt.
> Is there an alternative way to replace this method (supporting a visual
> interpretation with ancillary data)? Would it be very difficult to implement
> something like that?

perhaps in the GIS manager overlay the two raster images with transparency set
for the top one.

or in a xmonitor from the command line use d.shadedmap or d.his to overlay the
images with transparency.

see also the "cross hatch" trick shown in the GRASS Book to interleave the two
images in one display without transparency.

Hamish