[GRASS-user] Help needed with interactive selection of vectors

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 8 10:25:51 EST 2007

I work for the US National Weather Service at the Ohio River Forecast
Center. We generate, on a daily basis, a graphic that looks like this:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/ohrfc/fop.html

The linked graphic would be pretty trivial to create in GRASS using
ps.map. However, during times where there is a reasonable risk for
significant flooding, the map must be altered to designate the smaller
subbasins (or areas) that are at risk and to annotate the period over
which the threat exists. I'm sorry I can not link an example to show,
since there is no current flooding in the US or risk thereof.

Currently, the process is carried out interactively using ArcGIS. I am
trying to offer up an open source alternative with GRASS. I am sure a
more sensible, non-interactive way of generating the map explicitly
through a modeling approach would be best (and we do, of course, base
designating the basins at risk on hydrologic modeling), but there is no
*direct* link. Currently human interaction is used and some will insist
on this.

So, I am left wondering how to best approach this is GRASS, namely, either:

(1) have the ability to manually select smaller subbasins and group them
together to designate the area at risk, or

(2) hand draw/digitize the area

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,
Tom