[GRASS-user] Help needed with interactive selection of vectors

Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 8 16:31:41 EST 2007

Maris,

Sorry for not being clear. Basically now the mode of operation is:

(1) launch ArcGIS which has been customized somewhat to do the following (some background coverages appear automatically for reference, as the link shows)…
(2) the user manually digitizes polygonal areas corresponding to the areas of flood risk
(3) the polygons are annotated to show the period over which they are valid
(4) the custom control buttons allow the user to export the map and to have a text file created and have it ftp'ed to another location

Now, all of this is pretty much doable in GRASS, though the GUI is not as refined and some coding changes would be needed (I think) to 'duplicate' this process. I'm trying to avoid this right now for several reasons, including time constraints. What I thought *could* be done, would be to have some reference subbasin boundaries displayed in the GRASS display window along with the other reference vector maps (state political boundaries and our area of responsibility). Allow the user to interactively select the basins at risk and have those areas ONLY display as areas of risk. Then the process would be similar to (1)—(4), except that:

(1) I do not see how polygons can be manually selected and have the option to remove unselected basins/polygons and
(2) I do not see how to manually annotate a polygon in such a way that the polygon(s) are clearly tied to the annotation.

However, this may all be moot because, it seems, a significant number of people want to have the ability to freehand draw the areas of risk, so that the selection process I was suggesting is not of interest.

Thanks you for your interest!

Regards,
Tom