[GRASS-user] reprojection problem

YOSHIFUJI Natsuko natsuko at fr.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Nov 20 09:32:44 EST 2007

Hello.

I have some trouble in reprojection of raster map.
Could anyone help me, please?
Excuse me for very long message below...

I imported Eurasia Land Cover Characteristics data in Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area Projection (Optimized for Asia) downloaded from http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/tablambert_euras_as.php (easlcr2_0la.img) into grass, then reprojected it into another location (lat-lon, wgs84), in order to analyze it with SPOT-VEGETATION NDVI data previously imported in lat-lon location.
However, there was some gap (10km to dozens km) between reprojected Eurasia Land Cover Characteristics data and SPOT NDVI. Reprojected land cover map could not be overlayed on SPOT NDVI perfectly.
How can I cancel this gap?

The projection information of Eurasia Land Cover Characteristics data is as follows;

12,000 lines (rows) and 13,000 samples (columns) resulting in a data set size of approximately 156 megabytes for 8-bit (byte) images.
Projection Type: Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area
Units of Measure: meters
Pixel Size: 1000 meters
Radius of sphere: 6370997 m
Longitude of origin: 100 00 00 E
Latitude of origin: 45 00 00 N
False easting: 0.0
False northing: 0.0
XY corner coordinates (center of pixel)in projection units (meters):
Lower left: ( -8000000, -5499000)
Upper left: ( -8000000, 6500000)
Upper right: ( 4999000, 6500000)
Lower right: ( 4999000 -5499000)

I made new location "laea_usgs_asia" and imported land cover data as follows:
<set up of laea_usgs_asia>
projection: laea
datum: (not specified)
ellipsoid: sphere
radius: 6370997.0000000000
central parallel:45N
central meridian: 100E
false easting: 0.0000000000
false northing: 0.0000000000
plural form of units: meters
north edge: 6500500
south edge: -5499500
west edge: -8000500
east edge: 4999500
resolution east-west: 1000
resolution north-south: 1000
total rows: 12000
total cols: 13000
total cells: 156,000,000

<import of land cover data>
r.in.bin input=easlcr2_0la.img output=easlcr2_0la byte=1 north=6500500 south=-5499500 west=-8000500 east=4999500 cols=13000 rows=12000

Then, I reproject raster map named easlcr2_0la into lat-lon location in which SPOT-NDVI was already imported following the NOTE written in manual of r.proj commando.
(in "laea_usgs_asia" location)
v.in.region  output=box
(in "latlon_SPOT" location)
v.proj input=box location=laea_usgs_asia mapset=PERMANENT output=box
g.region -m vect=box
r.proj input=easlcr2_0la location=laea_usgs_asia mapset=PERMANENT output=easlcr2_0la method=nearest

Then, I overlayed reprojected easlcr2_0la on previously imported SPOT-NDVI raster map; however, they did not fit each other (10 km to dozens km gap, approximately)

The set-up of lat-lon location is as follows:
projection:latlon
datum:wgs84
north edge: 55N
south edge: 5N
west edge: 68E
east edge: 147E
resolution east-west: 0.00111607
resolution north-south: 0.00111607
raw: 44800
col: 70784
cells: 3,171,123,200

I am very happy if someone teach me how to correct this gap.

Sorry for long message...
Thank you.

Natsuko