[GRASS-user] import e00? sorry for repeat topic, but...

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Nov 21 09:36:58 EST 2007

On 21/11/07 03:07, Hamish wrote:
>> Brandon wrote:
>>> I've imported lots of shapefiles by simply selecting the *.shp file
>>> as the data source; does your method produce a different result (such
>>> as transferring metadata, etc. to the GRASS directories)? I had
>>> always understood that for the *.shp vectors, GRASS just needed the
>>> *.shp file.
>
> Michael:
>> This is news to me. But I just tried it and (contrary to the documentation)
>> it works fine. Both approaches seem to give the same result. But your way is
>> easier to do and to explain than the method explained in the help.
>
> It works both ways. v.in.ogr help page now updated to show both methods.

Isn't this just due to the fact that ogr ignores the file you point to
and just takes account of the directory if the datasource should be a
directory (i.e. for shapefiles) ?

So, the original description is correct (i.e. that for shapefiles dsn is
a directory), but in practice it doesn't matter since ogr takes care of
that.

Moritz