[GRASS-user] Re: object-based classification (vs pixel-based)

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Nov 23 09:27:44 EST 2007

Hello Peter,

On 23/11/07 08:49, Peter Löwe wrote:
> The issue about how to emulate the eCog-approach into GRASS has been
> around for a while. Here are my two eurocents of knowledge:
>
> eCog consists of several algorithms. First, a segmenting tool
> (patented...) is used to divide a multispectral image stack into
> segments. Then, a knowledge-based (fuzzy) merging process gets you to
> the object-representation.
>
> So to do it with GRASS, we need to have a multispectral segmenting
> tool plus "the object stuff".
>
> I am not sure if there are any FOSS-segmenting tools in the works
> that do their job without signature files [medical imaging tools,
> maybe?].

I have the feeling that this is the most important part.

> For the next step, the abstraction from spatial segments to objects,
> object-oriented grass-friendly environments such as R or CLIPS/CAPE
> could be used to create a prototype/demonstrator. However, the
> performance for large data-sets might be significantly below a c/c++
> implementation.

Is this automatic in eCognition or does it demand user input ? If the
latter and IIUC, the main challenge here is a fuzzy classification
algorithm, or ? Implementations of that shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Thanks for your explanations.

Moritz