[GRASS-user] OSX Leopard status

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Nov 25 12:41:57 EST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Aurora Geomatics wrote:

> On a related note, how is everything running on Leopard for you
> William?
>
> GRASS, QGIS, PostgreSQL, R, etc....
>
> I have Leopard but have not made the dive yet.  Waiting for feedback
> on any problems concerns related to GRASS etc..
>
> Thanks William, you save us Mac GIS users hours of set-up work!
>
> Mars

Friday I just put new frameworks and Postgres online, built for Leopard.

I've mentioned a few things on the dev list over the past few weeks
about GRASS on Leopard.  Summary:

- The current GRASS build does work on Leopard, even with the old
frameworks.

- X11 starts automatically now when needed.  I know my GRASS startup
already did this, but it's now done by the system.

- Do NOT set $DISPLAY.  Monitor displays and the GUI will not work.
DISPLAY is set by the system (and it's not the usual :0.0).

- TclTk 8.4 doesn't build 64bits, so the GUI and NVIZ will not run in
64bit mode.  Not a big deal for the GUI, but it would be nice to have
the extra boost in performance in NVIZ.  TclTk 8.5 can build 64bits,
but I had problems with that in GRASS.

- There is a Leopard linking problem with the X11 libGL (for NVIZ).
There is a workaround. (only affects compiling GRASS)

- not specificaly GRASS related, but Carbon in Leopard is not 64bit-
enabled.  Carbon is deprecated.  Carbon is dead.  Anything that
depends on Carbon must be updated to use Cocoa APIs to work in
64bits.  This includes Qt (Qgis, OSSIM, ...), some Python GUI type
stuff, some random libraries (Xerces, used in GDAL).

For GUI stuff, it's not a big problem, as long as the commands (ie
GRASS modules) run from a GUI do so as a separate process, they will
run in 64bits if they can.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war