[GRASS-user] PNG's interlaced?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 21:39:03 EST 2007

Nicholas Lawrence wrote:
> I'm just looking at the screenshots on the GRASS wiki.

I hadn't announced the launch of the updated screenshots section yet, but it
seemed far enough along to make the links live before the 6.2.3 traffic hit.

http://grass.ibiblio.org/screenshots/index.php

Some work still needs to be done in the vector, RS, imagery, and web services
sections.    http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Screenshot_suggestions
I'd also like to add a section with e.g. graphs generated with the R-stats
interface and other not-map modeling examples.

> The images are all PNG's.

Well, some are JPEG where it doesn't affect quality too badly.

> But they do not seem to be interlaced.
> Should they be interlaced? So they display better over a slow connection?

I tried hard to keep the thumbnails small (under 20k). At that size I wouldn't
bother with interlacing.

This one is an exception, but I thought it important enough to keep the quality
high:  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass63/screenshots/images/gm_mapdisp.png
(I tried a jpeg for it, even at 85% the point symbols looked bad)
We could interlace that one, sure.

The full sized versions have not been processed for efficiency. I figured the
thumbnail would give you a good enough try-before-you-buy before you decide to
commit to the full download.

thanks for the feedback,
Hamish