[GRASS-user] RGB to single-file Raster

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 29 03:01:50 EST 2007

Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> I have a number of imported images which r.in.gdal has saved as separate
> RGB files - what command can combine these into a single raster?

r.composite will do this, but you will get either better results or
better performance if you keep them as separate bands.

The default of levels=32 will reduce the colour depth to 15 bpp, while
using levels=256 will result in a significant increase in CPU
consumption for anything which converts cell values to colours (e.g.
d.rast).