[GRASS-user] thematic vector map with non-numeric field values

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Nov 30 10:29:27 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 7:25 AM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> From: Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de>
> Date: November 30, 2007 3:49:38 AM MST
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [GRASS-user] thematic vector map with non-numeric field
> values
>

> Hello,
> how do I disply a thematic map in GRASS for vector attributes that
> don't have
> numeric values?
>
> I tried d.vect.thematic but it would only accept numeric values.
>
> If I have a vector layer with all communities of a country and a
> attribute
> column with the community name and another column with the name of the
> corresponding federal state, how do I display for instance a
> thematic map with
> individual values based on the column with the sate names?
>
> I managed to do this on QGIS. But is it also possible in GRASS itself?
>
> Thanks and kind regards,
> Tim

Create an attribute field that either has a number for each value of
the string field or has an RGB triplet for each value. With the first
method, you can use d.vect.thematic. With the second option, you can
simply use d.vect specifying the field with the RGB triplet for color.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University