[GRASS-user] color copyright (was: [off-topic] spoke too soon)

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Wed Oct 3 17:35:15 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 13:25 -0700, Hamish wrote:
> Brad:
> > (paraphrasing) You can't copyright colors
>
> ... but can you copyright a series of colors? Maybe I'm thinking more from a
> mathematical standpoint versus a legal one, but if you take the 2D case instead
> of the 1D case, then you have an image, which is copyrightable. Presumably we
> can incorporate anything from GMT though (GPL). [I like their bathymetry
> scheme]

"Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs;
mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring;
mere listings of ingredients or contents."

That leads me to believe that the image product is copyrightable, but
the input colors (the ingredients) are not copyrightable.

I'll get clarification from one of my despicable lawyer friends. ;-)

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>