[GRASS-user] setting-up a FOSS GIS lab

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sat Oct 6 06:13:12 EDT 2007

If you are going for a thin client setup, you definitely
want to consider NoMachine NX (or the FreeNX variety).
These use a _very_ efficient compression scheme that
allows you to get great responsiveness and graphics
throughput on the network even with limited bandwidth.

A server with a quadcore CPU and plenty of RAM should
be able to handle the task.

However, with just 5 workplaces in the lab, why not use
full PC clients with local Linux OS and apps installed?
Once these are setup, they should not be hard or
time-intensive to maintain and you will get much more
computing power at each workplace. With this setting,
you could do with inexpensive hardware for both the
server and clients.

A good idea for GIS work is using a dual monitor setup
or at least widescreen displays.

Benjamin

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.