[GRASS-user] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] UN's program..: ESRI and cities mapping

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Oct 7 07:33:50 EDT 2007

On Fri, October 5, 2007 21:12, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> Jeroen,
>

> who do we have to contact at the UN for details on project applications to
> get some funding for GRASS development and deployment around the world?
>
> There are lots of dedicated academics and professional GIS developers
> behind GRASS GIS, based at highly respected public and private institutions
> around the world. Many of them would most happily dedicate additional time
> and effort to coordinating funded GRASS development.
>
> With a substantial monetary investment, GRASS could overtake any
> commercial solution

Hello,
as part of our marketing strategies as OSGeo we try to be careful in our
wording. One trap that we try to avoid is opposing Open Source software to
"commercial software" as this is not the appropriate antipode to what we
are trying to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_software

The term "commercial" itself can be perfectly applied to Open Source and
Free Software:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Commercial_Services
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/%22Commercial_Software%22

The opposite to Free Software licensing is proprietary licensing and the
opposite to Open Source development methodology is closed source. The
distinction here is best formulated as Open Source vs. Closed Source
(development wise) and Free Software vs. proprietary (licensing wise).

There is a category in the Wiki that contains a collection of advocacy
related issues, feel free to extend them (much of it has only been edited
by myself which means that it is not at all a consolidated place for
information but just a small collection of personal whims):
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Category:Advocacy

> in targeted functionality and usability. It is spatial
> technology that's enabling, free, democratic and unconditional to share
> for the entire world.
>
> -- that's what the UN should be all about, isn't it?
>

> Cheers,
>

> Benjamin

Apart from that you are right about all that you say. Btw. Jeroen is
already doing a really good job at FAO and related high level
administrations spreading word about FOSSGIS. I think what we can best do
as OSGeo is try to squeeze in more workshops, publications and appearance
at conferences and trade fairs to inform people about what we are doing
and why it is good.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl