[GRASS-user] configure no longer finds opengl

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Oct 7 19:42:46 EDT 2007

Seb wrote:

> > The config.log file is called config.log, not config_log.txt.
>
> Ok, my config_log.txt is a log of the messages received during configure.
> It's harder for me to understand the config.log, but here is what I think
> are the relevant lines:

Yep, those are the ones.

> | configure:11476: checking for glBegin in -lGL
> | configure:11493: gcc -o conftest -g -Wall    -L/usr/lib64  -Wl,--export-dynamic  -L/usr/lib64 conftest.c -lGL   -lSM -lICE -lX11  -lm   1>&5
> | /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

I was assuming that it was going to be more involved than that;
failure to detect a library is often due to missing dependencies
(rather than the library itself).

Somewhere on your system should be a library named e.g. libGL.so.1.2.
There should also be a symlink to this file, named libGL.so.

Going back to your original message:

> I can see /usr/lib/libGL.so.1, although there's also
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1, and they're both a symlink to
> /usr/lib/libGL.so.100.14.19. Any help would be appreciated.

you don't mention the libGL.so symlink, so I would guess that it's
missing. This symlink is needed for compilation, but not at run time.

The unversioned .so symlinks are normally included in the development
package (e.g. "opengl-devel") along with the headers. If you already
have the headers, the missing symlink may to be due to a botched
package management operation.

[A Google search on libGL.so.100.14.19 suggests that this is nVidia's
proprietary OpenGL library. nVidia's OpenGL packaging leaves a lot to
be desired.]

In any case, it should suffice to just add the symlink, manually e.g.:

	ln -s libGL.so.1 /usr/lib64/libGL.so