[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] srtm plus format and European bathymetry

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 11:32:50 EDT 2007

>From an older post

(from Markus, I guess)

Example:
 r.in.bin -sb input=e020n40.Bathmetry.srtm output=e020n40_topex
bytes=2 north=40 south=-10 east=60 west=20 r=6000 c=4800
 r.colors e020n40_topex rules=etopo2

Enjoy

Carlos

On 10/13/07, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:
> Michael Barton wrote:
> > Ultimately, I'm trying to locate bathymetry off the coast of Europe to
> > create a DEM of Pleistocene Europe during times of low sea level (i.e.,
> > -300m).
> >
> > Following the FreeGIS.org link off the GRASS download data page, I found a
> > site with "STRM30 plus" that combine 1km SRTM with bathymetry
> > <ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/data>. This seems just what I need.
> > However, I can't figure out the format or how to import it into GRASS. The
> > files show up like " w020n90.Bathmetry.srtm". I've tried r.in.gdal and
> > r.in.strm to no avail. I thought maybe the files were compressed and tried
> > to uncompress them without luck.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what to do with these files?
>
> Michael,
>
> ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/README.V2.0.txt:
>
> <snip>
> DATA FORMATS
> Data are provided as binary integers in exactly the same
> format as SRTM30.  The files must be uncompressed with gzip
> and are 16-bit big endian byte order.
> </snip>
>
> Other than they don't seem gzipped actually, the information
> looks correct. These are 16 bit signed integer binary grids.
>
> You can use r.in.bin, or r.in.gdal if you create appropriate
> header files (see r.in.srtm script for inspiration; note it
> cannot work with 30" SRTM data as it is now - currently it
> supports only 3" and 1" SRTM tiles). In the presence of
> properly formatted *.hdr GDAL supports such binary grids
> with "ESRI .hdr Labelled" driver [1]. In
> ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/ermapper_headers there
> are ERmapper header files, which I suppose can be used to
> prepare their GDAL-understandable version.
>
> [1] http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#EHdr
>
> Maciek

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke

Can't stop the signal.