[GRASS-user] 3D Buildings

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 19 11:48:06 EDT 2007

The following is what Markus wrote on May 18, 2006:

That's pretty easy:

- get 2D building polygons with heights as attribute column (v.in.ogr)
- get DEM (r.in.gdal)
- get orthophoto (r.in.gdal)
- interpolate dem to highres (I used 2m pixels) with r.surf.rst
- extrude 2D buildings to 3D (v.extrude, give building heights attribute
  column as option and 2m DEM as elevation)
- start nviz with
  nviz dem2m vect=buildings3d col=orthophoto

that's it!

> > If not, is it
> > possible to use the Trento dataset to create one? One possible use ? if
> > other details can be worked out ? is to create maps of flood inundation
> > to show buildings affected by flooding.

OK, I couldn't resist  :-)

 http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass61/demos/rlake/
 -> see at bottom for new screenshot with flooding
    (needs r.lake which is still not in CVS...)

> > I understand one must have the
> > building data (how was *that* obtained?).

The Trento municipality was going out and digitizing all builings.
Another option is to digitize building footprints from orthophoto
(v.digit) and assign a typical height to each building.

If you are lucky, get 3D DXF buildings and import them with
the recently updated v.in.dxf.

> > This type of presentation is
> > very effective in capturing the imagination (as it were) of those
> > possibly affected by flooding.

Fully agreed and done. Except for r.lake everything is in
6.1-CVS.

Only the merge of the flood map with orthophoto could be better
(r.mapcalc will kill the color table, r.patch as well). In February
I did a trick in nviz (see earlier flood screenshots) which I
don't remember today (maybe I loaded the DEM twice or so).

Best,

 Markus

I hope this helps!

Tom