[GRASS-user] grass.bat script for Cygwin GRASS 6.2.2-1

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 07:56:20 EDT 2007

Luigi Ponti wrote:
> >> Installation instructions at
> >> <http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/>
..
> >> Starting GRASS ...
> >> Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk
> >> applicationcouldn't connect to display "localhost:0"
> >> Error in startup script: dynamic loading is not currently available
> >> on this system
> >>     while executing
> >> "load /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.a Tk"
> > ..
Hamish:
> > Did you modify the bash line to run startx, launching X at startup?
> >   bash --login -i -c startx
>
> Yes, I did. Here is my cygwin_grass.bat file:
..
> the next thing I see is the GRASS startup message
>
>     Cleaning up temporary files.....
>     Starting GRASS ...
>
> And no X runs. GRASS starts in text mode but then it tries to load a
> GUI and off course this fails.

No idea as to what is going wrong.

The plan is that cygwin starts X11 on startup (-c startx) in the cygwin
dos-box; then X11 opens a xterm when it starts; and that xterm launches
grass. The '-n "$DISPLAY"' part should protect against it trying to start
grass from the cygwin dos-box outside of X11. What does:
  echo $DISPLAY
say from the cygwin dos-box prompt (not the xterm).

?
Hamish