[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 4 18:49:47 EDT 2007

I have setup a user supportfolder location for this, for two reasons
actually - one as you mention to avoid overwriting extras with
updates, but also because non-admin users won't be able to put stuff
in the GRASS.app bundle (and that's just wrong anyways in OSX).

See the OSX GRASS readme for details (it currently installs in /Users/
Shared), but here is a summary:

Global addons (available to all users on the Mac) should be put in

/Library/GRASS/$GRASSVERSION/Modules

$GRASSVERSION is simply the major.minor GRASS version.  There are
subfolders for the usual bin/lib/etc.  Of course, you also need admin
privileges to do this.

User addons should be put in

~/Library/GRASS/$GRASSVERSION/Modules

Neither of these will get stomped by an update.  The global support
folder is created by the installer, the user folder when GRASS starts.

On my list to do is add some info to the GRASS wiki, but for now it's
all in the readme.

On Sep 4, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Brandon M. Gabler wrote:

> Since we're on this topic, I need to ask a question about updating
> using Kyng's 6.3 builds on OSX. Say I have a version of 6.3 from
> Kyngesburye installed. Then I add additional scripts to the
> package. Then Kyng releases a new build with upgraded features from
> the newest 6.3cvs. How do I then upgrade the build without losing
> the scripts that I added? I imagine I would need to compile from
> source and then do a cvs update, similar to what I've seen done on
> linux machines, but I am unfamiliar with how I would do that
> properly on my mac. So for all of us GRASS OSX users out there, how
> do we keep the most up-to-date features of GRASS without losing
> addons?
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in
a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy