[GRASS-user] what is jgrass

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 06:05:51 EDT 2007

AFAIK, JGrass is intented to be more used mainly for hydrological
analysis. Not every GRASS command is available in JGrass, and some
[nice] stuff in Jgrass is not in GRASS (like r.strahler, IMO).

Carlos

On 9/17/07, Gerald Nelson <gnelson at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> I saw a recent post that included a reference to jgrass, which I had never heard of, so I went to the jgrass website, downloaded the manual, and spent about 3 minutes browsing it. One thing that struck me is the question of why is there both a jgrass version, written for cross-platform use, and the new efforts to make 'regular' grass (the 6.3 version we use around here on linux) run on windows and the mac. And for that matter there is qgis out there, which also has its own gui and uses grass code to do some gis things. From afar, it seems like there are some really talented, and incredibly dedicated, people out there who are kind of reinventing the same wheel.
>
> Are there some politics I don't know about (it seems like an important part of these efforts is happening in Italy. Are Italian politics even more complicated than other politics?), are there really important differences among these efforts, is it just the nature of OS development efforts, or some combination of all of the above.
>
> I hope noone is offended by these remarks. I watch the list traffic for 6.3 users and developers and am amazed by the way some very bright people, who might not ever have been in the same room together, collaborate productively. I'm just wondering late on a Sunday evening if there are ways to make this effort more efficient. As spatial data become ever more available, and processing costs continue to fall rapidly, open source tools for both exports and the masses become ever more valuable.
>
> Regards,
> Jerry
> Gerald Nelson
> Professor, Dept. of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
> University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
> office: 217-333-6465
> cell: 217-390-7888
> 315 Mumford Hall
> 1301 W. Gregory
> Urbana, IL 61801

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke

Can't stop the signal.