[GRASS-user] whats going on with v.to.rast?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Sep 17 13:32:08 EDT 2007

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann wrote:
> Hi I just updated from cvs, and some strange thing are happening with
> v.to.rast (I think)
> I am trying to convert to raster a xyz file I imported from a grd2xyz
> conversion from GMT (as r.in.bin wasn't very happy with the GMT
> grids..)

I suppose that r.in.xyz might be the tool you need.

> In the dialog, there are options for Raster3D and ImageGroup (as
> input), which I don't understand why they are there...

All looks OK for me in current CVS. Propably the famous 'make
distclean' before make can help you ;).

> So I tried in grass 6.2, but got errors about "v.to.rast can't open
> old vector in level 2.." I just imported the vector, it is not old
> format.. (v.in.ascii -zbt)

This means that your vector has no topology, and this is correct,
because you've used "-b   Do not build topology in points mode" flag.

The message in 6.2 is missleading though. This is fixed in 6.3. The
message would be "ERROR: Cannot open existing vector <name> on level
[2]" in 6.3.

Maciek