[GRASS-user] whats going on with v.to.rast?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 22:53:17 EDT 2007

Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 07:32:08PM +0200, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
> >> The message in 6.2 is missleading though. This is fixed in 6.3. The
> >> message would be "ERROR: Cannot open existing vector <name> on level
> >> [2]" in 6.3.
>
> > Which are precisely the messages? Then we could fix it in 6.2.
>
> In 6.2 it's:
>
> ERROR: Cannot open old vector map at mapset on level 2
>
> In 6.3:
>
> ERROR: Cannot open existing vector <map at mapset> on level [2]

It doesn't seem too misleading to me. Not enough to risk backporting
changes. Also, IMO the [] should be removed from the "on level ..." part
as the "2" is part of the sentence, it's not parenthetical.

The crux of the problem is that the various vector levels are not well
documented or known about. It's not obvious at all what "level 2" is or
means. We should work on the problem from that angle, starting with
something in the vector section of the wiki. (too technical for the
vectorintro.html page I think)

2c
Hamish