[GRASS-user] trying to get unprojected raster data into a projected location

Pietro Calogero pietro at calogero.us
Sat Sep 22 13:27:56 EDT 2007

Thank you Michael. Good to know about that capability of the
georectify tool.
Yesterday Maciej emailed me a different solution, which also worked.
I thought my question was so elementary that users on this list would
not want it posted. But he suggested that I do that, for the benefit
of other newbies, I suppose. So here is a summa:
1. The shapefiles had .proj files associated with them. I used one to
create a UTM location in GRASS.
2. The .sid raster had no projection info attached to it (so far as I
can tell). I used it to create an x,y location.
3. The extents of the x.y location were broader, and the cell
resolution much higher than the UTM location. I used g.region to
increase the extents and resolution of the UTM projection to match
the x,y location (and presumably the .sid raster).
4. I imported the .sid raster directly into the UTM location.
Actually, I only imported the red band (band=1) because that alone
was 1.7 GB and ground features resolved most clearly in that
particular band.
5. The imported vectors and raster line up, so at least I have
replicated the registration of the original ArcGIS coverage.

So in this procedure I only created the x,y location to extract
information from the .sid file: its extents and resolution. I never
pulled data into the x,y location. Thank God, because that raster
takes 2 hours to import into any location!

Now struggling with v.overlay of intersecting buffers over
polygons...grrrr...
Ciao,
Pietro Calogero
http://www.calogero.us/Kabul/2007/
-------
On Sep 22, 2007, at 9:00 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
Pietro, see below

On 9/20/07 8:56 PM, "Pietro Calogero" <pietro at calogero.us> wrote:

> I received a set of data that was developed in ArgGIS, including
> shapefiles
> and a .sid raster file. The shapefiles came with projection
> information, but
> the .sid file did not (and it extends out further than the vector
> info on the
> edges). So I created an x,y location for the .sid file and imported
> it using
> GDAL. It imported fine; the satphoto looks good. I also created a
> UTM location
> for the shapefiles using their proj info, and then extended the
> region and
> increased the resolution based on the extents of the raster (all
> units are in
> meters).

If you KNOW the projection of the .sid file AND it IS projected (just
doesn't have a header with projection information) you can initially
create
a proper location and simply import the file overriding its (lack of)
projection information. This is a check box in the GUI and the -o
flag on
the command line. No need to reproject the file.

> Now I want to reproject the raster from the x,y location into the UTM
> location. Both are in meters, both have the same N,S,W,E extents,
> both have
> the same resolution.

If you have the file in an xy location and want project it into a UTM
location, the simplest way is to use the georectification module in
the GUI.

Start GRASS in the proper UTM location. Make sure that you set the
region
extents and resolution to match the image extents and native
resolution for
best results. Use g.region to do this.

First, display one of your vector maps in the normal way.

Start the georectification module under the file menu.

1) select the location/mapset of the file you want to georectify
2) create a georectifcation "group" if you have not already defined one.
Your group will contain only 1 file
3) select that group
4) select a map/image to display for georectification. In your case,
it is
your single image.
5) start georectification

If you don't know the correspondence between xy points and desired UTM
equivalents, you could interactively click a point on your image and a
corresponding point on your vector to get that information for a
series of
points.

However, in your case, it sounds like you already know that there is
a 1:1
correspondence between x/y values and UTM east/north and your map is
already
rectified (i.e., doesn't need any kind of warping). If so, you can
just type
the corner coordinates into the xy box (separate by commas as in
xcoord,ycoord) and the same number into the eastnorth box (format as
east,north). Do this for the four corners, pick 1st order
rectification and
click the georectify button.

Hope this helps.

Michael