[GRASS-user] trying to get unprojected raster data into a projected location

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 00:07:34 EDT 2007

> 5. The imported vectors and raster line up, so at least I have
> replicated the registration of the original ArcGIS coverage.

'r.in.gdal -o' doesn't pay any attention to the g.region settings, it just uses
the data in the file.

If it imported as south and west = 0, and north and east = number of pixels,
with a resolution of 1, r.region can be used to reset that if the correct
values are known. (that won't work in lat/lon location where the number of
vertical pixels exceeds 90 (ie can't be north of the north pole), then the
import fails [devs: in that case should we rescale the import in r.in.gdal to
y=0-1?])

> So in this procedure I only created the x,y location to extract
> information from the .sid file: its extents and resolution. I never
> pulled data into the x,y location. Thank God, because that raster
> takes 2 hours to import into any location!

gdalinfo should be able to give you that info without importing it.
gdal_translate might let you assign georeferencing info to the image if you
wanted to do that, but as a new file.

Hamish