[GRASS-user] Open Source and the concept of reproducible research

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 05:54:16 EDT 2007

Hi, just a little evangelism,

I've just been looking at a free wavelet toolbox for Matlab called
WaveMat, and its webpage has an interesting blurb about the importance
of open source in the sciences:

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~wavelab/Wavelab_850/index_wavelab850.html

"Philosophy--why do it?

WaveLab implements the concept of reproducible research.

The idea is: /An article about computational science in a scientific
publication is *not* the scholarship itself, it is merely *advertising*
of the scholarship. The actual scholarship is the complete software
development environment and the complete set of instructions which
generated the figures./

We make WaveLab available to make the full content of our scholarship
available, enabling others to understand and reproduce our work."

"WaveLab and Reproducible Research"
Jonathan B. Buckheit and David L. Donoho, Stanford University
  http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~wavelab/Wavelab_850/wavelab.pdf

sumthin to think about.

now back to your regularly scheduled GRASSing,
Hamish