[STATSGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Simulation in grass 6

Agustin Lobo Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
Tue Sep 25 05:22:39 EDT 2007

Actually, I often use R as an scripting language
for grass. The problem is that grass commands have
to be issued using system(), which, for a complex code,
becomes inconvenient (lots of paste() for generating the
actual grass command).
Not being an expert at all on python, I wonder
if making R able of executing grass commands without
having to use system() could not be a valid alternative
to python, at least in some cases.

Anyway, I think that the real solution would be having a GIS
able of displaying R objects, sort of RGis.

Agus

Hamish escribió:
> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>
>> I am planning to write a spatial simulation model, simulating the spread
>> of alien species on a landscape scale by using grass.
>> My question how I should write the simulation model, i.e. in which
>> scripting language. I am using Linux and have quite a bit of experience
>> with R, so I thought that R (together with spgrass6) would be a nice
>> scripting language to write the simulation and sending the grass
>> commands through to grass, because it offers me quite a bit more
>> concerning strtucturing on the modelling side then using a normal shell
>> script
>> But the simulation should also run under Windows and I don't have any
>> experience with grass and R under windows.
>
> It sounds very well suited for Linux or MacOSX, but I've little idea about the
> GRASS+R Windows situation. Maybe someone on the statsgrass mailing list knows?
> (taking the liberty to cc)
>
>> I have the following questions:
> ..
>> 3) Is any other scripting language more suitable for what I want to
>> achieve (I have no experience with C / C++, but quite a bit with Delphi.
>> I have never used the likes of perl et al. and bash scrips seem a bit
>> awkward to me for bigger projects.)?
>
> You could try python. The next version of GRASS will use python heavily for the
> GUI, so expect lots of example scripts, help on the mailing list from fellow
> travelers, and tight integration with the code.
>
> Learn python in 10 min:  http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python
>
> Also there is a SWIG/Python interface to any needed GIS library functions,
> which is pretty cool, although the grass modules generally give you what you
> need without having to resort to using any low-level libgis functions.
>
> see  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_and_Python
>      http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/swig/python/
>
> Hamish

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410