[GRASS-user] how to enable write access for the UNIX group?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Sep 26 05:16:45 EDT 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
>Maciej Sieczka wrote:

>> Please note that I run umask *before* entering GRASS, while you do it
>> *after*. Shouldn't GRASS session preserve umask set before entering it?
>> It
>> doesn't. It forces 0022 instead:
>>
>> $ umask 2
>> $ umask
>> 0002
>> $ grass63
>> $ umask
>> 0022
>> $ exit
>> $ umask
>> 0002

>I checked grass63 and Init.sh for references to umask, but didn't find
>any (other than a temporary setting of 077 while creating the session
>directory). I have now found the likely cause:
>
>The temporary .bashrc file which Init.sh creates sources /etc/profile,
>which may set the umask.

Thanks for the hint! /etc/profile is the culprit. I have "umask 022" there.
I'll modify my Init.sh accordingly or use the export PROFILEREAD=1 you
mentioned.

>It probably *shouldn't* be sourcing /etc/profile, as that script is
>only supposed to be used for login shells.
>
>However, changing it will probably break stuff for some users, who may
>be relying upon /etc/profile being sourced without realising it.

Maybe it's something to consider for GRASS 7? As well as providing a
GRASS command (g.access option?) to enable r/w access for users
in mapsets they don't own? So that it they don't need to hack
lib/gis/mapset_msc.c.

Regards
Maciek