[GRASS-user] Re: read "parts(w)": no such variable

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 23:21:09 EDT 2008

> > > GRASS 6.3.0RC6 (latlong_ohrfc):~/.ssh > Error in startup script:
> > > can't read "parts(w)": no such variable
> > >     while executing

Michael:
> > We've tried to trap this and provide better feedback, but if GDAL is
> > broken/misinstalled/etc., this hits before any error trapping can be
> > implemented.

Glynn:
> AFAIK, this is due to g.region failing. It ought to be possible to
> detect that g.region failed before you start trying to parse the
> output.
>
> And even if you can't detect the abnormal termination, you could
> detect that the output is bogus.
>
> Of course, that won't make everything work, but you could produce a
> more useful error message.

yesterday I added this change to make it even more catchy:
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/31010

It looks to see if the parts array was created. (the wording could still
be much improved... perhaps to "Check the g.region module" ?)

should that get an "exit" or "return" added after the error message?
or should it be thrown to the command line?

I had a weird problem with it when I tested it. I renamed bin/g.region
and created a new g.region with just the shebang & "exit 1" in it.

The splash startup historical map came up with the output window but then
froze. The splash map was stuck there until I went into the window
manager's (fluxbox) window list and selected "maximize" for the "Error"
window. Then I could see it (full screen) and hit [Ok] and get rid of the
splash screen and leave gis.m.  I wrote this off as a fluxbox thing, but
maybe it needs to release the splash before it can make a new error
message popup box?

Hamish