[GRASS-user] LOS, Fresnel Zones, Multi-Line wave propagtion and GHz communications

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 17 11:58:33 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 05:36:18PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com> flavor, containing:
> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>>
>> There is also an open source application called 'splat' :
>> http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html
>>
>> I do not know if splat can account for near-surface conditions (i.e.
>> Fresnel Zone) or higher elevation atmospheric parameters (ionosphere).
>>
>> It would be nice to have a couple of more robust LOS-like modules in
>> GRASS for this type of work.
>>

> from the description on the web page it seems that Fresnel Zones are in
> SPLAT, at least in recent versions.
>
> I will have a look at it, tomorrow.

SPLAT is pretty cool, and if all you want is to compute some RF coverage
maps it works well as a standalone application.  It would make an interesting
project for GRASS integration.

As distributed, SPLAT only works when you give it digital elevation models
in a very specific file format, and it produces PPM output (not
georeferenced) to display its results.

I've often thought that it would be cool to adapt it to a GRASS module that
can work with any GRASS elevation data and produce a GRASS raster of RF
loss and radio coverage instead of an ungeoreferenced image file.  SPLAT
itself is a fairly simple program once you get digging in it (the math is
not simple, but the code structure is), but the integration project has always
been too daunting for me.