[GRASS-user] File formats in r.in.gdal

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Tue Apr 22 21:14:51 EDT 2008

> Tim Bowden said :
>
> The ecw lib has never been offered under a true open source license.
> The old license allowed "open source GPL style" use for non commercial
> use only.  The new license is much more restrictive in some ways.
> Certainly gdal can be compiled against the old ecw code.  I'm not sure
> about the latest ecw lib releases.  Either way it's up to you to
> determine your licence rights.  Beware the old license is inconsistent,
> vague, internally contradictory and generally doesn't parse well.  FWIW,
> I believe it's worth trying to avoid depending on ecw if this is an
> issue for you.  Having said that, avoiding ecw may well not be a viable
> option, in which case you may have to look at a commercial license for
> it.

My understanding is that ecw and jpeg2000 share some compression
technology. Is jpeg2000 a viable replacement for ecw? Are the
liscencing conditions for jpeg2000 more favourable for
open source?

nick

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.