[GRASS-user] [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?]

Markus Metz markus_metz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 25 06:13:49 EDT 2008

Todd Buchanan compared GRASS and ArcGIS in his master thesis (Geoscience
/ GIS):

Title: Thesis – Comparison of ArcGIS 9.0 and GRASS 6.0: Case Study and
Implementation.
·       Detailed costs and benefits of each GIS and included a
comparison of acquisition, installation, implementation, and utilization.
·     Involved Landsat image classification and analysis of urbanization
of Eugene, OR.

You can get the thesis here:
http://www.toddbuchanan.net/thesis_ver.pdf

The thesis used GRASS 6.0 and GRASS became even better since then:-) I
would not agree with TB's statement of technical support being virtually
non-existent, because you get answers quickly in the mailing lists.

I hope that helps,

Markus Metz