[GRASS-user] Limits of v.digit

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 17:58:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

2008/4/26 Joop Goedbloed <jlgoedbloed at hetnet.nl>:
>  Importing en big dxf-file into grass with the result of a grass vector-file
> with 420779 nodes and 366026 primitives
>
>  (I want to make take-off areas for houses, streets etc. for the city
> suwer-system)
>  v.digit becomes very slow and crashed.

BTW, it would be interesting to compare v.digit and vector digitizer
in wxGUI [1]. I have created vector point layer (v.random) with 3e5
points, loading such layer in wxGUI took on my computer 141s. Editing
was quite slow but possible.

With v.digit (tcl/tk) loading the layer took ~180s.

>  What is (are) the limits of v.digit?

Not sure here.

>  Is inserting more ram-memory the solution or is cutting the map in smaller
> parts a better option?

In this case cutting the vector map in smaller parts would be solution.

Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Vector_digitizer

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *