[GRASS-user] Cannot use grass on vfat partition

Agustin Lobo Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
Tue Apr 29 07:38:15 EDT 2008

Hi!

I'm using grass 6.2.3 on ubuntu 7.1
I've set up a fat32 partition so that I can share data with windows.
The line in my fstab is:
/dev/sda4       /media/mifat32  vfat
auto,rw,gid=1000,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,umask=0000 0 0

I mount with no problems, files belong to user alobo group alobo, I
can write,delete and make directories.

When I try to create a LOCATION and a mapset, I get errors. For
example, cannot do it with
the graphic interface, if I select Create mapset, I get:

couldn't change working directory to "##ERROR##": no such file or directory
couldn't change working directory to "##ERROR##": no such file or directory
    while executing
"cd $location"
    invoked from within
".frame0.frameNMS.third.button invoke"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
    (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
    invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .frame0.frameNMS.third.button"
    (command bound to event)

I can do it with the console (Projection Values), but then, at the end,
the graphic interface quits and I get:

GRASS 6.2.3 (delmedir):/media/mifat32 > ERROR: default region is not set
Error in startup script: can't read "monitor_zooms(1,1,n)": no such variable
    while executing
"lappend region $monitor_zooms($mon,1,$attr)"
    (procedure "MapCanvas::currentzoom" line 13)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::currentzoom $mon"
    (procedure "MapCanvas::coordconv" line 23)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::coordconv $mon"
    (procedure "MapCanvas::create" line 68)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::create"
    (procedure "Gm::startmon" line 11)
    invoked from within
"Gm::startmon"
    (procedure "Gm::create" line 69)
    invoked from within
"Gm::create"
    (procedure "main" line 30)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/lib/grass/etc/gm/gm.tcl" line 521)

Apparently, can work on that partition with other programs (i.e.,
OpenOffice) with no problems
and, on the other hand, grass works fine on /home/alobo
Also, it seems that I can work with grass -text, but gis.m quits with
the same errors as above.

Thanks for any help

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
e-mail Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster