[GRASS-user] Making and Uploading Maps for Garmin Etrex Legend GPS

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 08:17:45 EDT 2008

I have digitised some points, roads and a lake in GRASS and would like
to be able to upload them onto my Garmin Etrex Legend.

I have been able to use v.out.ogr format=kml to output the points, and
can upload them to the GPS with gpsbabel.

However, I would like the roads and the lake to be loaded into the
built-in maps.  I read a post on the GRASS mailing list archive that
mentioned cGPSmapper, but it seems like this only works with ESRI shape
files (v.out.ogr again) if you have one of the paid-for versions.

Is there any open source software that can do this?  Can GRASS export in
a format that can be more easily converted to be compatible with the GPS?

Thanks

John