[GRASS-user] grass 6.3.0 solaris 10 install errors

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 12 01:06:55 EDT 2008

Brian Clark wrote:

> >> After chmod 755 install-sh
> >> then make INSTALL=/wattemp/GRASS/grass-6.3.0/install-sh
> >> I get a bunch of complaints like:
> >>
> >> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../include/Make/Dir.make'.  Stop.
> >>

> > Does the file exist? If not, you need to extract the source code and
> > try again. If you get similar errors, try to note the point at which
> > they start.
> >

> >> ideas on what I may have done wrong?
> >> I also noticed that just before I tried make INSTALL, Platform.make did
> >> exist in include/Make/
> >> After the make, Platform.make.in existed, but not Platform.make.
> >>

> > From the errors, it looks as if something is deleting the include/Make
> > directory or its contents.
> >
> The files are deleted during make, but I'm not sure exactly when it
> happens..

Well, it's bound to be happening before the first "No rule to make
target ... Dir.make" error, and after the last time that a Makefile
which included Dir.make worked.

Yor original list of errors starts with:

	make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../include/Make/Dir.make'.  Stop.
	make[1]: Leaving directory `/wattemp/GRASS/grass-6.3.0/sites'

which implies that it's been deleted by the time that the "sites"
directory is built. The directory before that is "scripts"; does that
build okay, or do you get errors?

> Is this common?

No.

> I've tried a few older versions of GRASS with similar results. Would
> this be fixed in 6.4?

That's highly unlikely.

> Starting to get desperate....

Redirect the "make" output to a file: