[GRASS-user] v.variogram: maxdist and nlag

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:57:03 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Wesley Roberts <wroberts at csir.co.za> wrote:
> Dear Grass users
>
> I am using grass 6.2.3 and have downloaded the v.variogram module from the Grass_AddOns website (http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#Vector_add-ons). I wish to run the v.variogram module on a number of forest compartments for which I have LiDAR canopy heights. I have tried various combinations of maxdist and nlags but cant seem to find the 'sweet-spot' so to say.

Since v.variogram is actually using some functionality in R, it might
be best to work with the data directly in R-- preferably with the
gstat package. This might give some more flexibility in tuning
variogram calculations. In addition, you should be able to estimate
anisotropy, which will confound variogram-based inference.

> A colleague of mine suggested that the lag distance multiplied by the number of lags should equal about half the largest distance within a particular compartment. Is this a suitable 'rule-of-thumb' to use?

I would suggest posting these type of questions to the r-sig-geo
mailing list. there are several accomplished geostat gurus there who
could probably answer this question.

> I am interested in identifying the range of the semi-variogram as this value will determine the width of pseudo-flight lines I intend to use to sample the lidar data. Our point density is upwards of 5 points per square meter captured over even-aged managed Eucalyptus plantations with an espacement of 2 meters between trees and 3 meters between rows. Given the structural characteristics one would assume that semi-variance should reach a plateau (sill) at around 6m (canopy width), however my preliminary research indicates that the location of the plateau varies based on maxdist and nlags, how does one manage this to effectively quantify the distance at which spatial auto-correlation no longer applies?

I would argue that this is a fractal problem with no definite, finite
solution. Try generating a varigram map:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/442

* warning I am having some problems with the syntax highlighter, so
there are some spurious '\' characters in the code listings on that
page.

Cheers,

Dylan