[GRASS-user] Getting vectors from postscript files

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 20 08:24:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Richard Chirgwin
<rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> I have a large and layered PDF map which I'd like to get into Grass-GIS,
> preferably without tracing the vectors by hand - there are hundreds!
>
> I've been looking at various ways to extract the vectors - in particular
> using tools like pdf2ps, pstoedit and fig2dev - to try and get the data into
> some kind of usable format. However, the best I can seem to do is to get an
> SVG (scalable vector graphics) file that contains the relevant vectors.
>
> Is there a tool that will let me import vectors from either PDF, PS, or SVG
> into Grass-GIS?

In the past I had some success with pstoedit:

http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/

pstoedit -f dxf mapfile.eps mapfile.dxf

Fails for you? Possibly (don't remember), I used ps2eps (written by
Roland Bless [1])
to generate EPS from PS first.

Markus

[1] http://www.tm.uka.de/~bless/ps2eps