[GRASS-user] Creating a world file from unreferenced images

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:03:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

Not entirely a GRASS question but I'm hoping someone can point me to
the right direction

I was given thousands (literally!) of topo images in either jpg or
bmp.  My task is to create an indexed raster for viewing in either
GRASS or QGIS via WMS.

The problem: all files do not have a world file!  Each topo is
subsetted to 6 images (probably due to scanning limitations).  There
is also a dwg file for each image showing the image frame among other
layers.  The dwg file is referenced to a lon-lat.

My plan is to get the coordinates of the image frame from the dwg
file, this provides a reference bounding box for the images.  Then
automatically create a worldfile for each image subset.

I'm thinking of using a bash script with gdal, imagemagick.  I also
found something similar in producing a world file here:
http://hackmap.blogspot.com/2008/04/numpy-to-tiff-via-gdal.html

Any ideas/pointers on how to solve this?

cheers,
maning

--
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |