[GRASS-user] GPS tracking with PDA using GIS software

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 01:02:19 EDT 2008

Jeevan:
> > I am looking for some GIS softwares for PDA (with GPS
> > tracking). The tool should provide following futures.
> >
> > 1.  Provide standard GIS  support such as display,
> > overlay, custom draw and management.
> > 2.  Provide situation awareness  using standard
> > mapping and icons.
> > 3.  Track the individual or group of PDA's.
> > 4.  Provides recording capability of the entire mission
> > (route), which can be later viewed for drawing the route.
> > 5.  Provide navigation capabilities
> > 6.  Provides presentation of data collected from GPS

Perhaps look at GpsDrive (www.gpsdrive.de). It is not a complete solution, but will do 2,4,5,6, 3 via the "friendsd" addon, and
1 via GRASS's d.out.gpsdrive script. It lacks ability to overlay
GIS maps (must render first in GRASS), perhaps QGIS's GPS plugin
can help there (but it doesn't do the realtime navigation stuff).

G. Allegri  wrote:
> Even if this is a Grass ML I want to indicate you gvSIG
> mobile. I don't know how many of your requested features
> it cover. Have a look at it:
> http://www.gvsig.gva.es/index.php?id=descripcion&L=2

IMO all FOSS solutions are welcome here. Best tool for the job,
and it is likely some mix of softwares will be needed and they
with integrate with each other.

good luck,
Hamish