[GRASS-user] supervised image classification using textural aspects

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 25 16:30:51 EDT 2008

So as a heads up, we actually built some functionality into starspan to
deal with the huge amount of time it takes to process texture images for
  data exploration.  If you check out the minirasterstrip output, it
allows you to take your field data, and produce a small strip of raster
windows around each of your field points along with an affiliated
vector.  This allows you to run the texture transforms just on the
neighborhood around known data.  This will allow you to quickly test out
a bunch of different texture (and spectral) transforms without waiting a
week to finish a bunch of texture transforms that may or may not be
useful.  Here's the basic workflow:

1) Acquire "training" vector and overlapping raster data.
2) Run starspan to output the minirasterstrip + minirasterstrip vector.
3) Perform spatial (texture) and spectral transforms on the minirasterstrip.
4) Apply different classifiers to the minirasterstrip (with various
spatial and spectral transforms), decide on which spectral and spatial
transforms are required, and which classifier to use.
5) As a FINAL step, apply the spectral and spatial transforms to the
entire image, and apply the classification rules.

http://starspan.casil.ucdavis.edu

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD