Geophysics functions [was Re: [GRASS-user] use pi number]

José María Michia jose.maria.michia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 05:48:15 EDT 2008

2008/8/25 Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette en gmail.com>:
> On Monday 25 August 2008 08:59:33 am Paulo Marcondes wrote:
>> 2008/8/23 Paulo Marcondes <paulomarcondes en gmail.com>:
>> > I have been interested in implementing potential fields function in
>> > GRASS since long,
>> > but I don't have the necessary background (I mean, I don't know the
>> > equations) or the coding skills.
>>
>> As for gravity equations, the Geological Survey of Canada has a
>> informative page: http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/gravity/formulae_e.php

I've created a wiki page:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Gravity

At this moment, is only a first step. The info is not related directly
to GRASS, but I think that is correct to publish here. I look forward
to working alongside Paulo and others to add more information. Please,
correct me if I wrong

>> However, we still don't have an answer to this:
>> > I would like to know where all these geophysics modules would fit.
>> > I guess not in the i.* series, maybe in r.grav.* for gravity
>> > data/functions or r.mag.* for magnetometry data.
>>

> Adding some more support behind geophysical routines / examples in GRASS, here
> is a simple post illustrating some work with magnetic data in GRASS. See the
> link to Stefan Maus' page for detailed descriptions and magnetic models.
>
> http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/560

I've created another wiki page and published this link:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Geomagnetism