[GRASS-user] vectors: how to find the gravitation centre of point data ?

peter.loewe at gmx.de peter.loewe at gmx.de
Thu Dec 4 05:02:13 EST 2008

Hi list,

is there an easy way to derive the centre of a cloud of points ?

I am aware that the set of vector points ("cloud of points") could be used to stake out a polygon/boundary and use v.centroid etc etc to derive in turn its' centroid, but I am hoping for an easier solution .. ?

This issue stems from working with v.to.db: currently it is not possible to upload xy coordinates for "multiploygons" into a database, i.e: Within a vector layer, there might be several boundaries which all share the same category value. If the "gravitational centre/ super-centroid" for these boundaries could be (conveniently) calculated, the v.to.db issue could be taken care of.

Peter
--
Dr. Peter Löwe
<peter.loewe at gmx.de>

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a