[GRASS-user] Raster file from ascii file and flattening Africa .... : )

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 06:35:47 EST 2008

Dear Moritz,

thanks for pointing out r.in.xyz .... I will get a look at it, to see if it is
what I was looking for.

Concerning projection, of course I was not looking into flattening Africa with
a digger .... but in "flattening" Africa's projection (I though it was clear
from the context).

My data are in WGS84 / lat-long, but I need to use an area preserving
projection. I need to set the resolution to some sort of 100 km x 100 km
squares, or equivalent area.

My data are 1 x measurement on several specimen of the same species in
different sites, and I need to do some geographical analysis at that type of
resolution in an area preserving projection / datum.

I am asking the gurus what is the best area preserving projection / datum I
could use for Africa and the hows.

Thanks again.

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk