[GRASS-user] importing maps with non-supported projection system

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Dec 5 10:07:57 EST 2008

On 05/12/08 15:04, Barbosa, A. Marcia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to import some shapefiles that are in a different projection from
> my mapset. I wish I could do that directly, i.e. that the maps could pe
> projected to my location as they were imported (for example, if v.proj
> worked also for non-GRASS maps, as long as they came with georrefering
> information). But as I understand, I have to create a new mapset and a
> new location with the projection information of those external maps,
> import them there, then switch to my mapset and run v.proj from here.
>
> The problem is I don't have all the information I need to create the
> location for those shapefiles, or the projection information is not
> supported by GRASS (I can't find any similar option when creating a
> location from QGIS).
>
> Is there any way to import a map, automatically creating a new GRASS
> location matching the georreferencing information contained in that map?

v.in.ogr ... location=

But this only works if your shapefiles are accompanied by *.prj files
containing the projection info. If not, then the only way to find that
info is either with the source of the data, or by an educated guess
looking at the coordinates (i.e. if you see coordinates between 0-90,
then you can be pretty sure they are degrees of a lat-long system,
although you still won't know the datum used).

Moritz