[GRASS-user] new user question about mapsets, locations, and coordinate systems

mtnbiketrail at zzz.com mtnbiketrail at zzz.com
Sun Dec 7 18:08:34 EST 2008

I'm using 6.3 on Ubuntu with QGIS.
If I create a new location, under PERMANENT, does that coordinate system
that I specify for PERMANENT the default coord sys for a new mapset I
create under that location? I have different raster and vector maps I
want to use and they are all different coord systems. Can I have a
different coord system for each mapset?

For the DATABASE parameter, is GRASS smart enough to add on the LOCATION
directory. IS the DATABASE always the same, even if I create different
LOCATIONS?

So should I create the PERMANENT coord system with what I want to use(
which is wgs84 UTM). So I can use QGIS and its "on the fly" option.

I tried to do this with the text based interface, but kept getting weird
stuff, like ESC+ENTER didn't always work.