[GRASS-user] Automatic calculation of coordinates, elevation and distance from context region.

georgew gws293 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 19:14:14 EST 2008

Hi, some background to my problem:
I have downloaded a shapefile containing a walking track with coordinates
and no elevation, and downloaded another contours shapefile with coordinates
and elevation, for the same region as the track. Thanks to this forum I can
now extract the walking track elevation (and distance between points) from
the contour lines at the point where the track intersects with the contours.

I now would like to extend the walking track, preferably through a GUI, by
creating new points or lines, whose coordinates and elevation should be
calculated by the GUI from the context in which the track is placed, and be
able to process the resulting track, i.e. extract elevation (and distance
between points), as though they were part of the original shape file.
Is this possible with GRASS and any suggestions how best to achieve this?
I hope I have explained this clearly enough, if not please let me know.
Many thanks,